Senior Search Developer
Repositive is changing the way genetics researchers discover and interact with human DNA data. Data access is difficult and time consuming, a bottleneck for advances in cancer and genetic diseases research. Our ambition is to provide a data access process so smooth, it will be as simple as ‘one click to DNA data access’.
We’re looking for passionate developers with experience building clever web platforms who want to make a real impact on health research. You can see more about our team here: repositive.io/team and you can get a glimpse of what we’re building here: youtu.be/YEkQxRMSFOc.
- We are looking for candidates who have experience with a major searchengine such as ElasticSearch, Lucene/Solr, Sphinx et al. Prior Experience of optimising search and data ingestion with a passion for mentoring is essential. In addition, development experience including Node.js, Kubernetes/Docker, stream processing, data processing methodologies, distributed systems would be a distinct advantage. Knowledge of genomics is not mandatory but it will certainly help your application.
- You will be working on all aspects of our search product as well as joining in the wider development team to advance our product working within agile teams. As such you will have the opportunity to expand your horizons in all aspects of the business.
- Search is at the core of all our products and we are committed to improving users experience in the complex world of Genomics. The majority of our current microservices stack runs on Node.js creating demanding search requests ranging from natural language through to complex molecular expressions. You will join a small team of specialists focused on allowing users to discover resources of interest. A passion for innovation is highly desired given that advanced knowledge discovery using techniques such as AI, unsupervised learning, NLP are on the current roadmap. Large scale ingestion and data enhancement is an important element of the role with data flowing from crawlers and Genomic workflows typically orchestrated with Python and CWL. Implementation of custom indexing and search algorithms handling big amounts of data is foreseen, which will potentially require a degree of familiarity with a systems programming language, such as Rust or modern C++.
- One of our core values is "collective intelligence" and as such we expect mentoring of our junior members and so experience in this field is required for this role. We are constantly evolving our technologies and so your passion for research and validation of new innovative technologies will be encouraged.
- At least 4 years proven industry experience.
- Strong fundamentals in computer science, engineering, data structures, and software design.
- Solid coding skills and experience building, testing and debugging complex systems in a team environment.
- Passion for writing clean, efficient and well tested code, regardless of the language/platform.
- Good understanding of relational and non-relational databases, columnar stores, caching, key value stores, etc.
- Experience of handling large amounts of data, especially in context of indexing and search.
- Good understanding of networking and internet protocols.
- At least basic biological knowledge would be beneficial.
- Personal development - Conferences and workshops, huddles and hackathons. We like learning.
- 25 days holiday - Plus UK public holidays. Use them up.
- Stretch Yourself - Try, fail fast. We have an insatiable appetite for innovation and playful experimentation.
- Social troop - Sometimes we head to the pub, other times the climbing wall. We are an inclusive and tight-knit team.
- First-rate perk days - Last time we went go-karting, other trips have included the zoo and a boat trip.
- A balance - wellbeing’s not just for Christmas; we always maintain a healthy balance of work, play and recharge time.